Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Registration

We arrived on campus around 3 am Cairo time Tuesday, June 2. I unpacked a bit, read a bit, slept a bit. My body felt like it was 9 pm or so, and I'd gotten some sleep on both planes and in the airport. I got up at 7 am to run and shower. Registration with the Arabic Language Institute started at 9. Lots of paperwork, none too bad. Information and registration is not centralized at all, though, so there was lots of walking back and forth across campus. I had locked up my passport already and so did not have it with me. I had a copy of the information page, but they wanted a copy of the visa as well. When I walked back to the dorm to retrieve that passport, the outer door of my mini-compound was locked. Since I didn't not yet have my ID (and therefore key card), I couldn't get in. Managed to get my ID and key, however, and ran the passport in later.
Attended the housing orientation as well, which was short and sweet. Thursday is the full campus and ALI orientation, after which I'll be able to give you full information about my class schedule, etc.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like me arriving in Michigan in '05 and running back and forth to pick this to register for something here and there. Hey, how do you pay for stuff? You already have some local currency or you're using your cards? Last December I realized that it probably isn't a bright idea to use a debit card abroad; the rates are normally horrible compared to what one could get from a forex bureau. Just wondering. Have a nice time settling in.

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't purchased anything yet, actually. I'll be converting money this morning at the bank on campus. I brought a bunch of cash over.

    ReplyDelete