Sunday, July 26, 2009

Back on Campus

Saturday morning I went out snorkeling after trying to figure out how to get back home. Buses were full until late that evening. And once I got back to Cairo, I still had to try and get to campus. I had no problem paying for a cab, but they are notoriously terrible about knowing where the new campus actually is and I did not want to deal with the stress of trying to get there.
So I went snorkeling. I found a lot of really, really cool reefs and went out really far. As a result, I was out for four hours...oops. Sorry, friends.
I got back, and the friend from class I'd been trying to call had finally responded to the text. If I left immediately, I might make their private bus to get back to Cairo. So I packed in five seconds and got into a taxi, barely saying good-bye to my buds. When I reached the hotel the bus was leaving from, turns out the bus was, of course, late. I had accidentally walked away with a bunch of Kim's money. So Tim came out to the hotel and got Kim's money and we actually managed to say good-bye. I called Kim and Kenny and wished the adieu.

The bus ride was without mishap. Sarah (friend from class) had a Egyptian friend on the bus who lives in Rehab. He drove me to Rehab (much closer to campus than downtown Cairo) and got me in a private car that knew exactly where campus was. I don't know I've ever traveled in Egypt so free of stress on my own. It was really nice, given the lateness of the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment